2 - Najaasat (filth)
to contents of Teachings of Islam (Talim-ul-Haq)
Contents of Part 2 - Najaasat (filth)
Najaasat is of two types.
1. Haqeeqi – which can be seen
a. Ghaliza – heavy type
b. Khafifa – light type
2. Hukmi – which cannot be seen e.g. breaking of Wudhu or a need of
Najaasat Haqeeqi: Uncleanliness or filth that can be seen e.g. urine,
stool, blood and wine.
Najaasat Ghaliza: Dense (heavy) types of Najaasat e.g. Urine and stool
of human beings.
Najaasat Khafifa: Lighter types of Najaasat e.g. Urine of Halaal animals.
Makruh: Disliked or something which is against the conduct of Islam.
Makruhe Tahreemee: Close to Haraam.
Haraam: Illegal or forbidden.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES AF NAJAASATE HAQEEQI
1. NAJAASATE GHALIZA
2. NAJAASATE KHAFIFAH.
Examples of NAJAASATE GHALIZA:
Urine and stool of human beings and the excretion of all animals and
the urine of all Haraam (forbidden) animals, flowing blood of human beings
and animals, wine, fowl and duck excretion.
Examples of NAJAASATE KHAFIFAH:
Urine of HALAAL ANIMALS (animals permitted for eating) and the excretion
of HARAAM BIRDS.
Whether Najaasate Haqeeqi (Ghaliza or Khafifah) is on the body or clothing,
can be cleaned by washing three times. After every wash the garment must
Return to Contents
of this page
ISTINJA means cleaning the private parts after passing out urine and
stool by using clean water and earth etc.
1. It is SUNNAT to make ISTINJA after passing out urine, stool etc.
2. It is permissible to use lumps of dry earth for ISTINJA, provided
the body is properly cleaned.
3. For passing urine and stool, one should go to a place of privacy
(toilet) and seat oneself at ease. After relieving, wash the private parts
until satisfied that they have become clean.
4. It is MAKRUH to make ISTINJA with coal, bones, glass, baked bricks,
printed paper etc.
It is not proper to use paper for ISTINJA which is also used for writing
and printing. But with toilet paper it is different. It can be used for
ISTINJA, since it was made only for that purpose and not for writing or
5. It is MAKRUH to pass out urine while standing.
6. It is MAKRUH-E-TAHREEMEE to face or show the back to the KA'BA when
passing out urine or stool.
7. It is FORBIDDEN to seat little children facing or showing their
backs towards the KA'BA when passing out urine or stool.
8. Remove rings, badges or anything else on which the name of ALLAH,
His RASOOL, Quranic verses or Hadith are written. lt is permitted to have
them in the pocket.
9. Use the LEFT HAND only in ISTINJA.
10. Do not urinate or pass stool on a public road or path, beneath
a fruit tree, or a tree giving shade or in a well, dam or river.
11. If you are in an open place and there is no toilet, then sit in
a place where you cannot be seen by others.
Before entering the toilet recite:
"O Allah! I seek protection in you from the MALE and FEMALE
Enter the toilet with the LEFT FOOT.
After leaving the toilet.
"O Allah! I seek you pardon. All praises are due to ALLAH
who has taken away from me the discomfort and granted me relief."
Return to Contents
of this page
Back to contents
of Teachings of Islam (Talim-ul-Haq)
Step out with the RIGHT FOOT and once OUTSIDE RECITE: